The 105.3 Level 2 Strip Cut by HSM is a great system for personal or small office use by a few people. With automatic features to make use simple and an LED display panel, this petite machine is highly convenient to have around. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons.
- While multiple people could share this device, it’s still small enough to sit under a desk for personal use. And since it only weighs about 25 pounds, you won’t have a problem moving it.
- A toggle switch controls on, off, and reverse functions. Once on, the shredder sits in a standby mode without using electricity. The cutting cylinders start and stop automatically via photo cell sensor as items enter through the feed. A safety shield covering the entry keeps ties and other objects from getting caught in the blades. If items are jammed, the reverse function feeds the materials back out to the user. An LED panel with indicator lights keeps the user constantly aware of the machine’s status.
- The motor uses a specially adjusted drive system for higher performance and longer shredding periods. Thermal protection guards against overheating. A fully enclosed housing reduces the spread of dust and quiets the noise of the motor. This machine only produces about 59 decibels of sound, about the same noise level as a normal conversation one yard away.
- A 9.5 inch opening allows 13-19 sheets in at once, depending on which version you choose. Either ¼” or 1/8″ wide strips are produced as fast as 16 feet per minute. The blades accept staples and paperclips as well as credit cards.
- The thin, unreadable strips fall into an 8.7 gallon waste bin with an integrated tilt-out opening for non-confidential waste. If the waste bin is full or removed, the machine automatically stops until it’s emptied or returned. A window allows monitoring of the amount of shreds collected.
- HSM provides a 20 year warranty on the cutters and two year coverage of parts and labor.
- Though the strips created are illegible, they still only provide a low level two security rating. This is adequate for generic office shredding of memos and old work orders. But any confidential items need to go through a cross cut machine with at least a level three rating, such as the 105.3cc.
- The engine isn’t rated for continuous duty. This means that for every short period of heavy shredding, it will shut down to cool off for a little while. Light use may not trigger this enough to be an issue. However, if you plan to share a shredder between several people with moderate to high needs, you might prefer a device with a more powerful motor to accommodate the use.
- The capacities on here are on the low end. For this size shredder, they are appropriate. Again, if your needs are higher or for several people, you should look at a larger machine.
Overall, the 105.3 Strip Cut Shredder is best suited for a small office. Offering medium security and quick shredding, your unwanted low risk materials will stay secure with this device. Simple, automated use provides convenience and efficiency. We think you will be very happy with the HSM 105.3 Strip Cut as your next personal shredder. LED screens manufacturers